Monday 16 April 2012

EmBRACE your inner geek.

So eight years ago. I finally finished school.
Much to my relief.
For five years, I pretty much counted down the days that I could walk out the school gates and NEVER return.
Why?

Quite simply.
I was a geek. 
People at school didn't understand me.
They couldn't work out why I didn't wear skirts, why I spoke about Formula One and why I listened to Green Day's Dookie on loop. 

Some people at school didn't act geeky, but they just looked geeky. 
Glasses, braces (teeth and on trousers) and wild haircuts. 

It was a bad time to be a geek. 

But in the last couple of years something amazing happened.
Geek became cool. 

Formula One is one of those sports that has had its fair share of the geek community. 
In looks and in mind.
The mind because of the engineering/technical side.
And in looks, well just see for yourself. 

Pastor Maldonado
Pastor Maldonado Pastor Maldonado of Venezuela and Williams is interviewed by the media in the paddock during previews to the Australian Formula One Grand Prix at the Albert Park Circuit on March 24, 2011 in Melbourne, Australia.

Though this is now an old picture because much to the amazement of twitter.
Pastor now only has the bottom brace on.
Yay to perfectly straight teeth. 

(Though this may qualify for the world's most creepy photo)

Does it matter that Pastor has braces, bad skin and a creepy photo face.
No. For two reasons.
One. Did anyone see his drive in Australia.
Two. Have you seen how stunning his girlfriend is?
Case closed my friend.  1-0 to the geeks. 

Daniel Ricciardo.

This is how Daniel Ricciardo looked last year.
Still good, but he obviously wanted to improve his smile.
Cut to the 2012 Australian GP.

And hello braces.

Now from moving from braces to glasses.

Now when I think of glasses in F1.
A couple of people spring to mind.
The first though has to be.

Sebastien Bourdais.

The Frenchmen didn't make much of impression in F1.
But he did make an impression with his eyes.
Most F1 drivers who wear specs, tend to take them off for racing and wear contacts.
Not Sebastien.
He bucked the trend and chose to wear his glasses when he drove.

For some people. Contacts just don't work.
They can get too irriatated by them or they can move causing discomfort.
At least with glasses. There is less risk of that happening. 

Several drivers in the last couple of years do wear contacts for racing. This includes: Robert Kubica, Timo Glock and Giancarlo Fisichella. 
Ralf Schumacher spoke in 2001 of wanting to wear glasses whilst racing, (A big news story in 2001. Slow F1 news week) but sadly I couldn't find any photo proof . 

And this leads me very nicely to probably my favourite F1 geek.
Jacques Villeneuve. 

So what if he wears glasses, has unruly hair and wears overalls that are three sizes too big for him. 


Jacques is the best F1 geek I know.

And as we all know. Geeks need love too, so show your support to the geeky F1 community. 
Get your glasses on, mess up your hair and get your braces on...Your trousers.
Embrace your outer geek. With the already inner geek you already have.

Well because if you like F1. Then your inner geek is already sorted.

To hear more of my F1 ramblings you can also follow me on twitter @squiffany





No comments:

Post a Comment