Wednesday 26 October 2011

Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

marco-simoncelli-died_sepang_crash_video_malesia














In this dark week of motorsport we lose another driver. This time in Moto GP.

Marco Simoncelli was just twenty four when he was struck by Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi at the Malaysian GP.

Marco was really up and coming in Moto GP and was definitely one to watch for the future.

It was such a gruesome crash that Sky news didn't even show it and when I did see the crash in full on Euro News. I actually felt physically sick.
Seeing Simoncelli without his helmet, whilst laying lifeless in the middle of the track is something I will never forget.

Now I don't watch Moto GP very often and I know that motorbikes are infinitely more dangerous then other forms of motorsport but it's still a shock to the system to have another driver die within a week.

I don't know how Moto GP can ever really be safe, after all when the drivers have an accident they don't have a monocoque to protect them. Only themselves.

The scariest thing is that Marco was the same age has me. Twenty Four.

That's no age to lose a life, especially when life hasn't truly begun.

My thoughts go to Marco Simoncelli's family and friends.

In the blackest week that motorsport has faced in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment