Wednesday 21 December 2011

An anatomy of my F1 crushes...

Now has any regular reader of FFF knows, F1 Fitty of the week has become a regular staple of this blog.
But over the past few weeks I have been thinking of my own F1 crushes over the years.

It doesn't make pretty reading at times.
So I'm going to take you down embarrassment line and show you my F1 crushes over the years.
So let's start from the beginning.

1998
Heinz Harald Frentzen




Yep this is the worse one of them all. I don't have any excuses, but the excuse I will make is that I was very young and I knew nothing of the world of attractive men.
I have no idea how this one even came about. I think in my hatred of Michael Schumacher. I paired up with Frentzen. I think I felt sorry for him. (Back story: Schumacher's wife dated Frentzen and then left him for Schumacher)
I think this story combined with the underdog factor made Frentzen appealing to me.
The worse thing about this story was that I made a sign that sat on my desk at school saying...

Tiffany Kate Fletcher
             <3
Heinz Harald Frentzen

I'm disgusted with myself.
So lets move on quite quickly.

1999-2001
Jenson Button. 



When the boy from Frome first stepped into F1. I knew he would be my first true love.
From the photo of Heat I placed on my bedroom door to the letter I wrote to his fan club.
(I literally had no shame, but I got a nice signed photo back. Still to this day I have no idea if it's real though.)



I loved him for years, then when I was 13 he made some really stupid boyish comments about women in F1, which put me off him for a long time.
In jist saying how could women drive in F1 with big boobs etc etc.
(I didn't bare in mind that at the time Jenson made the comments he was pretty young and less media trained then he is now)

But that was it.
I lost my faith.
But everything changed in 2001.

2001-2007
Fernando Alonso.


Literally this love affair lasted longer then any of my real relationships.
(Which says a lot about the state of my love life.)

In fact because of my Alonso love. I ended up helping out on Fernando Alonso forum for about a year and ended up meeting some of the friends I still have on Facebook and Twitter now.

I used to tell anyone who would listen that I would marry Alonso one day. The day he got married actually was a heartbreaker.
(Fast forward to his divorce this year and the 2006 me would of been jumping for joy. Alas 2011 me wasn't that bothered)

Now I probably would of loved Alonso forever but the year he joined McLaren is when the crush died for me.
Mainly because he insulted British fans, saying we all supported Hamilton and  to be honest in general Alonso was just a bit of a dick.
His smugness was off putting. Forever.

So even though looking back I can't understand why I fancied Alonso. Maybe it was the eyebrows...who knows.
I still think he is an amazing driver. That can never be denied.

So from 2008 onwards there has been a drought in my F1 crush timeline.
I have had the odd dalliance.
There was a brief crush moment in the last few years for Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber and Nico Rosberg. (Who is on my is on my fridge at the moment. Yeah, long story)

Sometimes I even go back to Button and Alonso.

But I worked out a while a go. That it doesn't matter how pretty the drivers are.
(Even though I blog about that side of F1 constantly. )

It's about the racing.
And it will always be about that.
True story.

Any interesting F1 crushes?
Comment or you can twitter me @squiffany














No comments:

Post a Comment