Tuesday 7 February 2012

Testing. One, Two...Testing.

If you didn't know or have never read my blog before.
I love F1.
I pretty much live and breathe it.

Except in one key area.
Testing.
Especially the off season testing before the F1 season officially begins.
Like the testing going on this week in Jerez.


I was sent home from work today. After being poorly the last couple of days.
But when I got on twitter. It was full of testing tweets.
The tweets about seeing the cars on the track for the first time, how many laps cars did or who crashed out. Is totally acceptable.
But to me.
The tweets about who is posting the fastest times.
This is like me posting about my hair colour, David Attenborough Polar bear footage or Katie Price's boobs.
They are all pretty fake.


Of course they exist. (My hair colour is looking pretty marvellous at the moment)
The testing times did happen.

But they aren't a realistic gauge of how things will be in Australia in March.
Yet everyone seems to get super duper excited about who's the fastest.

Last year Barrichello topped the sheets, yet where was the Williams last year?
There it was dragging it's sorry self over the line just before the Virgins, HRT and Lotus.

I'm not saying that if your fastest over testing your not going to do well. Brawn in 2009 had a really good testing session then won the both championships the same year.

I just find it hard to get excited about something that has too many variables.
From now until March. The cars and the drivers will completely change.
Drivers will be fitter and cars will have tried every part/loophole going to get the car to it's full racing capacity.

Yet everyone seems to play the world's uninteresting guessing game of who will be fastest/competitive in March.

I think I know why we do this though.
F1 fans go through nearly five months of no F1 action. By the time we hit the launches and the testing, we know that it isn't too long to wait. So we get excited by any glimpse of a so called race. Mainly because we have been starved for so long.

So even if it's just the race to get to the top of the time sheets in testing.
We get excited.
Cars have moved and it's literally GO GO GO.

Personally I have to wait the extra month (Because we all know that F1 is always worth the wait) and make my own judgements of the cars at qualifying and the race.
Because for me. The first race is the test.
The test of who will be the fastest and who can catch up to them throughout the season.
Plus after five months of being starved. It makes getting up at four in the morning, seem that little bit easier.

Feel free to comment below or you can follow me on twitter @squiffany.









No comments:

Post a Comment