Tuesday 27 March 2012

Diary of a F1 weekend: Malaysia

So after an exciting Grand Prix weekend in Australia.
We hardly have time to blink before it's the turn of Malaysia and the start of another early morning race.

So expect blurred vision and tiredness throughout my weekend diary.

Thursday/Friday
2am

Hoorah. I am actually up ready for FP1 however it's fair to say I'm not feeling on top form.
I noticed that in the fly away races especially the back to back ones. My sleep patterns go completely awry.
Luckily I managed to stay awake for 45 minutes of FP1 before realising that I couldn't hang on.
So decided to go to bed and wake up instead for FP2.

Notes for FP1

  • Karthikeyan gearbox decided to fail. 
  • Hamilton should good pace to top the table
  • Vettel showed that Red Bull didn't have the pace. 
  • All the cars seemed to be close in terms of time. 
  • #BOTTAS

Now instead of my alarm waking me up for FP2. It decided to let me sleep through.
So I missed all of FP2.
This is not the first time this has happened. Luckily I recorded FP2 for this very reason.

Notes for FP2
  • More woe for Karthikeyan
  • Vettel still struggling for pace in 10th
  • Vergne and Ricciardo show their hand. Top ten placings for both. 
  • Then Karthikeyan has some more woe thrown in. 
  • Hamilton quickest again
Friday/Saturday
FP3.

Ahhh. So I missed all of FP3. 
This lately seems a F.F.F tradition. 
There is no excuse for this.

But of course I was up for Qualifying. (Because I'm good like that.)
And even though it was 5am and I had to go to Sheffield later in the day.
I managed to not sleep through it.
I think the pack of fig rolls I brought may of helped, along with the copious amounts of coffee.

Notes for Qualifying
  • Bad starts for Heikki and Kimi with five place grid drops. 
  • Massa still struggling for raw pace and dropping out in Q2
  • Webber out qualifying Vettel again. 
  • Schumacher qualifying in the top three.
  • Hamilton and Button bagging a One-Two for Mclaren. 

Saturday/Sunday
Race day. 8am.

With my alarm clock actually waking me up. 
Even with the change of clocks. (Yes it gets lighter earlier but it meant a hour's less sleep. *Grumps*)
It was time to get my cup of coffee on the go, along with another pack of fig rolls. (I'm getting lardy because of this.)
Ready for another great race.

Now what I love about watching F1, is that comedy can come from nowhere.
Now I tweet has the race is on. So when 9 laps in the race the rain came down and the red flag came out.
So did best comedy moments.

All 50 minutes of non racing was filled with entertainment that consisted of Gazebo chat. 
Who had the best gazebo?
Who was doing the BBQ?
Why did HRT only have a Tesco carrier bag?


Then it turned into a scene from the Carry On films because we started perving on the wet drivers/team members. Ooo Matron. 


Then it came full circle back 2009 with a W.W.K.D.
Or the long version. 'What would Kimi do?'
We all secretly hoped he would get the ice cream back out. Sadly this was not to be. Even if Lotus did get the Ice Creams back out for him. 

































Luckily the race did start back up again but under the safety car. 
When the safety car came back in. The fun could begin again.
And boy did it.
We had Button lose his front wing.
Then Vettel got a puncture. 

I may of had some micro naps between all of this going on.
But I managed to stay awake when the fight for the lead was between Ferrari and Sauber. (Words I didn't really expect to say this year.)

And even though Perez had a moment off track and couldn't catch Alonso back up.
It was worth me having Horner jiggly leg for.
It was pure racing at it's best.
F1 is definitely back and it has come back swinging. 

Notes for the race.
  • Rain
  • Red Flag
  • Gazebo's are entertaining
  • Grosjean failing in the race for the second week in a row. 
  • Karthikeyan injuring several cars. 
  • Pastor losing out on points on the last lap.
  • Hamilton still not looking happy after another podium.
  • Vettel coming up with a new insult system and raising a new finger. Twice.
  • Button's brutal honesty
  • The Perez and Alonso battle.
Today was a good day to be an F1 fan. 


Remember if you want to hear more of my F1 ramblings. You can also follow me on twitter @squiffany 








No comments:

Post a Comment