Sunday 8 May 2011

Diary of F1 weekend: Turkey

So Turkey this weekend.
One of the more interesting tracks. Mainly for the fact that if you say your going to the Turkish grand prix. Your easily spotted in the crowd because normally... there is no crowd.

But it's also the scene of the aftermath of a three week Formula One break.

So now I have bored you slightly with a bit of guff, here's my diary of an F1 weekend.

Friday.
Now I was at work on Friday afternoon but with FP1 on at 8am. My usual habit would be to watch FP1 and then miss FP2 to go to work but... on Friday night I was going out. So I spent my Friday morning trying to find my outfit and get everything prepared ready for the one hour timeslot I had to get dressed and back out the door in.
Although I did manage to see Vettel's crash in the rain though. Only because my twitter feed was ready prepared with a Vettel crash video. So I got to watch it on the bus. Mobile technology for the win there.

Saturday.
Again work made me miss qualifying but thanks to the red button. I watched it all just an hour later. So I wasn't as far behind as normal. Qualifying didn't throw up much really. The main news was that Kamui Kobayashi's car failed and so was at the back of the grid for the race. This piece of information alone made the anticipation of the Turkish race more exciting.
Because has anyone who watches F1 knows, Kamui Kobayashi is the master of the overtake and with 23 cars to overtake.
That's a race in itself, never mind the front runners of Red Bull and McLaren.

Sunday
So I'm off today and in even better news because the Turkish race is actually at a decent hour of 1pm. I actually get a lie in. Double result.

Like China three weeks ago. The Turkish GP was a great dry race. Lots of overtaking (Especially by Mr Kobayashi), team mate rivalry and dodgy pit stops (I'm talking to you Ferrari and McLaren)

The things that made the race personally great for me have to be.
  • Martin Brundle talking Toblerone etiquette (I didn't even think there was any) with Sebastian Vettel pre race.
  • EJ moaning that the overtaking because it was easy made the race dull. That man really needs new glasses or a nap.
  • OQN and Petrov fighting for dominance in the Renault team
  • The pit stop incidents. It just shows one small mistake can really cost you places
  • And Michael Schumacher pretty much showing he is actually related to Ralf. Bad times.
So in two weeks we're off to Spain. Alonso country.
It's usually the place where all the upgrades come on to all the cars.
Can anyone make any improvements to really catch Vettel?
Who knows, but I know it's going to be unmissable.

Like this post. Then you can follow this blog. Just click on the right hand side of the page or you can follow me on twitter @squiffany




No comments:

Post a Comment