Sunday 8 May 2011

The finger that made me fall out of love with Sebastian Vettel.

My mum is a woman of many quotes.
Classic lines of advice such has...
"If you get attacked by a man, kick him in the bollocks and run"
and not forgetting
"Never trust a man with brown shoes"

One of my other pieces of mum advice is.
"Never be too cocky when your at the top, because there is always someone out there that is better then you."

That sentence seems extremely app when talking about Sebastian Vettel.

Now a couple of years ago I did like Seb. He was funny, loved talking to the media (A slight rarity in F1 these days) and he was pretty decent looking too (Always a win for a young female.)

At BMW there was no doubting his talent. This kid is special.
Then in the first half of his first full season at Toro Rosso. People forgot that at one point Sebastien Bourdais was actually a little bit better then him.
But all that changed at the infamous 2008 Monza race.
Where in a slightly poor Toro Rosso and in the rain to boot.
Vettel won his first race.
A star really was born and within the year was signed with Red Bull.

Now in 2009 Red Bull were still over shadowed by a better team. (In this case Brawn) and Vettel was to me still likeable but still had what I called the gift.

The gift to be quick, clever and above modest.

Then this time last year.
I fall out of love with Vettel.

Turkey 2010.
The infamous Team mate clash.
Now it wasn't the fact Vettel blamed Webber because drivers can only see what they see. Not like us with our TV's and multi camera angles.
It was the way he acted afterwards.

Like a spoilt brat.
Hugging Christian Horner and acting like my four year old nephew.

It was too much for me.
My love for him was dying.
The tipping point though came a few races later.

When the wins came at the end of last season. We started to see the Vettel finger.

This was all good at first. Every driver like to do a celebration when they win a race. In Fernando Alonso's championship year. He stood on his car and did a pose representing the country he won in.
That at least was a little different.
But Vettel and his finger are just bloody annoying and the radio message.
"That's what I'm talking about"

Actually sends my twitter mad every race weekend.
Because the one thing that bores an F1 fan to death is repetitiveness.
(We all remember the Michael Schumacher seasons.)
Sebastian Vettel now is that Repetitiveness.

Now some people are going to say I'm just jealous because he is winning all the time.
I promise you that's not the case.
Jenson Button won a stream of races last year and I still like the guy.

Jenson was smug... don't get me wrong there. But Jenson followed my mum's philosophy.
He knew there would always be someone better round the corner and in interviews he always says. "So-so did a great job today, we didn't"

A bit of humbleness doesn't hurt an F1 career.
So Mr Vettel.
You need to get a new celebration and listen to my mother.

Because she ain't ever wrong. Fact.

Like this rant/post. Click the follow button blog button on the right hand side. Or you can follow me on twitter @squiffany.

No comments:

Post a Comment