Sunday 27 March 2011

Diary of an F1 weekend: Australia.

Hey bloggers.
Hope you had a lovely weekend, especially because the F1 season was finally back :)

Here to share with you is my Female Formula Fun Diary of an F1 weekend.
Warning: I'm actually pretty dull....

25th March 2011
It's 12.38am and I am scribbling this on a piece of paper in pretty much pitch black conditions. It's only an hour till Free practice one and I'm pretty excited.
It's been nearly six long months since an F1 car turned a wheel and it seems like six months too long.
I have work at 11am today and for the past few days I have been suffering with fatigue. I just haven't been 100% in weeks. So coping with a different time zone race is going to be even harder then usual.
I'm expecting not to even get the chance to watch some of free practice, I will probably be getting some ZZZ's instead.

1.32am
Karun Chandhok has lost it and ended up in the barriers. We are less then 2 minutes into the start of practice.
It's gonna be one of those seasons.

3.05am
Managed to stay awake for the whole of FP1. I set my alarm for FP2 at 5am but know it's probably going to be too much for me to do. With work and being a bit poorly it's not looking good.

4.55am
Alarm goes off.
I turn it off. Refresh laptop page. Then fall back to sleep.

9am
Awake for work. I knew that I would miss FP2 but managed to read the standings and decide to watch it on Iplayer after work.

26th March 2011
12am
I'm in bed ready for work and GP in the morning. I'm in early 9 till 2, which means that I have to get up at 6.30am anyway so with qualifying starting at 6am it's not so hard to get up.
I decided to miss FP3 mainly so I don't oversleep for work and so I feel more refreshed for quali.

5.50am
I get up and make myself a strong cup of coffee and some toast and sneak downstairs to put on BBC One.

7.30am
I am getting dressed whilst watching the Qualifying, which I can reassure you is a skill.
Gutted that Heidfeld was out in Quali One.
As most of you know I am a fan of Occasionally Quick Nick.
Sadly not quick at the moment, down in a lowly 18th.
The HRT boys failed to qualify for the race at all, this surprised no-one... except for HRT.

9am
By the time I leave for work Qualifying has finished.
Barrichello (The most experienced driver no less) makes a rookie error and ends up down the tail end of the grid along with OQN.

Sutil use of DRS (Or drag reduction system for newbies: Basically it reduces drag and makes the cars faster) nearly costs him a car. He spins but luckily manages to keep the car on the track.

The rookies all pretty much end up in the midfield.
Petrov surprises everyone by being 6th on the grid...Then everyone started comparing how much better Kubica would of done if he was there and in the car. (A post on this coming up later in the week)

Then it was really between the Red Bulls and Mclarens for pole.
Vettel smashed it.
Getting pole by over 8 tenths over Lewis Hamilton.
It looks like Vettel really is going to be the one to beat this year.

27th March
It's 5.55am and I am off work meaning I can get up for the grand prix and I don't have anything to do for the rest of the day.

I get up, with my blanket for warmth. Plus a dog ( My dog always sits with me on grand prix day...mainly hogging the blanket) and make myself some coffee and some nutella on toast and sit down ready for the pre race build up.
Wearing my lucky Aussie T-shirt with no make up on.

I do love the race build up. Mainly for these top gear style moments like this

7.00am
The Australian race begins.
(Race report to follow)

9.00am
Race has finished and it's time to switch to the forum (The extra wind down for the BBC F1 coverage.)
It's time for me to go back to bed for a few more hours.
The race may not been the most exciting but it did produce the best comedy moment ever in Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard. After commenting on how curtains had been put up around the paddock to stop punters seeing the cars.

EJ- Look here's Red bull
There's no big banner up there, no cloak..

DC- There's also no cars there.
EJ- That's a good point

DC- I thought I would just point out that small detail
....Oh but hold on there is a small fold down chair.

Sometimes F1 is priceless even if ain't always an exciting affair.










No comments:

Post a Comment