Monday 22 August 2011

It is what it is: David Coulthard book review.

One thing I love doing in my spare time is reading.
I could read from the age of three and was reading books written for grown up's at the age of seven.

I get through books quite quickly and I still love the thrill of buying and smelling a new book.

Now since I am saving to move house and go to two GP's next year.
In the past few weeks I have had to resort to reading books that I have bought in the past but not found the time to read.

This pile includes some F1 books.

So since this an F1 blog, I thought some F1 book reviews would be appropriate.

So the book I read last week was David Coulthard's: It is what it is.
Now the copy I had was about three years old, so only went up when DC left Red Bull.

Now David admits in the front of the book that he had a ghost writer to help him write the book.
Now one thing I have always liked about David Coulthard is his honesty and this comes through in it is what it is.

Just talks candidly about his kiss and tells, his near death experience and how lucky he was to have such a privileged background to even get into Formula One.

Some parts however may be a little too honest.

I really really really did not need to know how David Coulthard lost his virginity.
I nearly dry heaved on the bus to work reading about that at 8am in the morning.

For me a F1 book, has to give me an insight into someone's life or career. That maybe the press and TV coverage couldn't.
David talks all about his working relationships with McLaren, Williams and relationships with his team mates.
The one's he did get on with and the one's that were tense and awkward.

DC is never ever disrespectful of anyone. He holds the people who created his career in high regard. That to me is why I think I like this book.
I love a bit of juicy gossip, but when it's just a dirty laundry slanging match. It's uncomfortable to watch/read.
DC never does that.
He's professional even when he's giving you the juicy details of his life.

Also what struck me was how much I laughed.
I always read on the bus and I had to hold in a lot of laughs from DC's book, which I didn't expect I would.
I thought it would be very serious and quite frankly Scottish.

But there were laughs a plenty and what I love was how humble DC could be.
Who knew he loved a cup of tea and a twix?
Simple pleasures hey.

And that's what this book is.
A simple pleasure.
Nothing too heavy, nothing too serious and not full of DC loving himself.

Just an honest account of F1 journey.
That started with an accident and ended with making of the DC we know and love.




No comments:

Post a Comment