Thursday 25 August 2011

Top five F1 crashes.

Now this week is the anniversary of the first time I watched Formula One.
Now it's not a celebratory number like 20 or 30 years but I'm very proud to reach my 13th year of Formula One.

So to celebrate I am picking my top five F1 moments from the past 13 years. 
This post is the top five crashes. I don't like crashes, there are not a nice part of Formula One but they happen and luckily everyone in these crashes were okay and so with that here are the top five memorable crashes.

Fernando Alonso: Brazil 2003
In the UK the Brazilian race is at prime time on Sunday night, so on this occasion I was watching with my family. Being a huge Alonso fan at the time. When Alonso crashed into Mark Webber's discarded tyre from a previous crash minutes before. I was in bits. I was shaking and crying. I had to be consoled by my mum because in my head I thought Alonso was really badly injured. 




Mark Webber: European (Valencia) 2010

An eye watering crash, which shows how bad crashes can be if there is a dramatic speed difference between cars.
This didn't make me cry, but I pretty much yelped at this one.
Literally a few yards higher and this could of been a tragedy.




Sergio Perez: Monaco 2011

What made this crash all the more horrifying for me was the moment that Sergio put his hand against his head, bracing himself for the Monaco impact.
Then that white sheet came out.
Sickening moment.
I hope that next year something is done about the Monaco bump.



Robert Kubica: Canada 2007

I remember this crash more vividly then others.
On this day me and my family were round my sisters house to celebrate my Niece's 3rd Birthday.
The F1 got turned on the TV by all the men at the party and me.
Then we saw Kubica's huge crash.
It was the first time for me that a huge crash made me think I had seen an F1 death.
It was that bad I didn't just cry at my sisters.
I went home and cried too.

Even now I struggle to watch.



Most of the field: Spa 1998

Rain + a mistake = Chaos.

Eleven cars were taken out in one fell swoop with what has to be the most cars crashed in F1 history.
It was extremely lucky that the cars hadn't quite got up to racing speeds and that everyone got out uninjured.



Now there have been plenty of F1 accidents and crashes but those five are the ones that stick the most in my mind.
Lets hope the next thirteen years F1 safety keeps on improving and we have another thirteen years of no fatalities in F1.



No comments:

Post a Comment